Wednesday, 2 November 2016
Burda 11-2013-115 and some odd fabrics
I ordered some fabric online and when it arrived it was not what I was expecting (despite looking like the picture and matching the written description.... so no fault of the seller!! - just me!)
I then decided that I had to use it up and try out a swing coat pattern from Burda.. forgetting that since I have a small top half and much larger hips, swing coats really do not flatter me AT ALL.....
So I cut out the fabric
I created the back pleat following the instructions in my trusty "Readers Digest Guide to Sewing" (my copy is almost as old as I am as I pinched my mums copy)....
Bottom 10cm of the vent left open for hemming and as an open back pleat (this is the photo that is the closest to the bright neon garish colours of the fabric - which I thought would be fun... but just don't work for me in a garment)....
Big wide sleeves (which once they have a 4cm hem on them will be too short for me!)
Me admiring the This-Coat-Make-Me-Look-Pregnant effect .....eeeek!! Not the look I was going for!
The pattern is drafted well with darts across the shoulder to give shape to the Raglan sleeves. Everything fits together well.
I got to the stage where I need to cut out and sew up the lining and then insert it. But I decided to try the coat on .. at which point I decided I would NEVER be wearing it.. and therefore did not want to waste lining fabric or sewing time finishing this project.
Not the pattern - my bad choice for my body shape
The fabric did not appeal when it arrived and it still does not appeal once cut up and sewn.... time to move on!