Thursday, 10 July 2014

A variety of bags....

I have had a bit "To Do" list hanging over me... then my husband decided to add to it. So I finished the grey school trousers that were draining my desire to sew, whipped through the pile of mending/alterations... then tackled the "to do" pile:

1. Little bags to hold mechanics seat covers (to protect cars from greasy mechanics/muddy children)


2. A padded bag with a side pocket for batteries for the super-doooper new ear defenders





3. A "carry-out" bag to sit by the front door for my youngest - bag filled with a sketchbook, felt-tips (colour changing ones), tissues paper, glue and colour pencils.



AND finally a bag I have been meaning to sew since June 2013 when I bought the book... The Ruffle Hobo Bag from Kay Whitt's book "Sew Serendipity Bags"

To give an idea of scale:


The construction method leaves the seams for the lining and shell inside and raw.. so bias binding is used to cover this up.. when I read this instruction I thought "YUK"... but actually I rather like the fun bias hidden inside the bag. You can just about see the internal pockets in this shot.



Fusible volume fleece used
Changes for next time -
zippered internal pocket?
longer handle (I am sure the one on the cover of the book looks longer!)

NOTE TO SELF: - the pattern for this is IN THE BOOK (ie I have not stored it with all of my other patterns)



Pattern Description:


"The Ruffle Hobo Bag is based on one of my bag patterns with Serendipity Studio called the Sylvia Sling"



Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes - but I did not use the ruffles .. and I am convinced that the handles are shorter than in the pictures!

Were the instructions easy to follow?

NO - I like to cut out all my fabric and do all my fusing first (then I know I have enough fabric. The pattern pieces do not include a piece for the zip and this is cut out when you get to that instruction - I just personally don't like that layout.



Having said that the instructions are written well in a step-by-step manner ...



What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Before I made the pattern up:



I liked the shape and size of the bag. (it is why I bought the book)

I liked the fact that the book had all the pattern pieces printed full size in the back (except the zip pieces for this pattern!)



Now that I have made the pattern up:

I really liked the bias finish of the raw edges on the inside (I thought I would hate this)

I like the internal pockets BUT I would like to add a zipper pocket inside

I like the fact that the bag closes with a zip



I don't like the fact that the seam allowances are 1/4" and 1/2".. this is because I am used to working with 6mm and 1.5cm...

I also don't like the fact that the markings are not all on the pattern pieces .. some are in the instructions which tell you to mark directly onto the fabric....



Fabric Used:

Mystery cottons from my stash

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

1. Did not add the ruffles - this was almost a useable toile to see if I liked the size and shape enough to want to add ruffles...

2. Used an old buckle that no longer had a tongue (but it still works)

3. Did not use lots and lots of different fabrics - I just used 3 all from stash



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes I WILL sew it again, but I will use it for a while and decide what changes I would like to make before I do..



Conclusion:



This is rated as an "Intermediate Bag" - which I would agree with. Next time lots of hand tacking will be needed to ensure I get a good finish with all of the layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment