Tuesday, 1 April 2014

McCalls 5525 - Coat





Finally Finally finished my McCall's 5525

This has been a real exercise in procrastination! I am so glad this is no longer hanging over me - and I am thrilled with my final coat. MUST remember to mark up properly as I sewed the buttons in the wrong place twice before finally asking someone to pin mark them for my while I wore the coat!

My first coat with bound buttonholes - and I used Karen from Did You Make That's e-book to help with them - £2 well spent!!

I made view A + B


Pattern Description:

Semi fitted, lined, double-breasted jacket and coat with collar, sleeve and length variations. Princess seams

Pattern Sizing:

8-16

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes - apart from my changes

Were the instructions easy to follow?

They were OK - you really need to go through it and find all the instructions for the coat you are making otherwise all the jumping about can be confusing when making it up. I also used a tailoring book to help complete the coat.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I love the collar and the fact that I can use the pattern lots of times to make the variations.

Fabric Used:

Wool for shell and mystery slippery viscose stuff for lining

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Well I don't really remember because I toiled it in Feb 2013, but the fabric and then left it in a bag until Jan 2014!! BUT :
1. added width to hips
2. Used sleeve from view A with length from B
3. Did not make the belt
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
YES - I will sew it again

YES - I would recommend it to others.

Conclusion:
More pics on my blog.

But basically what has not been said about this pattern by 62 other people, probably is not worth saying!

I can't believe I left it so long to make this coat - the pattern has been in the stash for years, the coat cut and waiting for a year.....I used a mix of traditional techniques and speed tailoring and I am really proud of my coat!

I will use the pattern again - to make this exact coat again and to make a trench coat....

No comments:

Post a Comment