Sunday, 26 January 2014

New Look 6935




First garment finished in 2014!
A pattern stash! New Look 6935 - in fabric from stash.....glitzy (garish?) dress for an evening out!

This pattern has a LOT of ease - 3" in bust and 6" across the hips.
Pattern Description:


Three different dresses and 2 bolero tops.

I made view B - the dress with a gathered bodice

Pattern Sizing:

8-18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Been in stash so long I can't remember! But I love the bolero pattern

Fabric Used:

Mystery fabric from stash which was given to me - a shimmery sparkly fabric!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

There is a LOT of ease (3" in bust and 6" across hips). I cut a 14 flaring to 16 at hips BUT could have cut it smaller in the bodice. I took some of the size back out by getting someone to pin me in and mark up the CB seam - then sewing in the zipper along the pinned line not the actual seam line

Use a concealed CB zipper

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes - I have plans to make this again.. and the bolero is almost finished too!

Conclusion:



This whizzes up very quickly and I will make more in other fabrics. I need to improve the way I deal with the V neck to prevent gaping though! (I used cotton tape slightly shorter than the length of the neckline - but this alters how the lining fits - so next time I should do the same process with the lining OR work out an alternative!)

2 comments:

  1. How about trying a strip of iron on interfacing around neckline. or the iron on tape (more expensive). that way it is stabilized while lying flat on ironing board and there's no risk of stretching or puckering as there is when you sew tape onto it. you are, after all, sewing on a bias cut which leaves it quite vulnerable to distortion.

    sewing canary from pattern review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fantastic idea - thanks :-)

      Delete