Sunday, 1 September 2013

Butterick 4659


Finished today  - this top will go with the skirt that I plan to make for my mini-wardrobe...

I will wear this shirt to check, but I am fairly certain I will be chopping off the arms and making it short sleeve!

Might be a good pattern to use for a jacket?

Pattern Description:


Princess seams - shirt. Button closure. Sleeve variations, stitched hems, flounces - I made A with longer sleeves

Pattern Sizing:

8-14

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes - apart from I think I must have used the sleeve for D as it is not 3/4 length!

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Very

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I bought this pattern a million years ago so not idea what I liked about it then.. but I like the collar treatment.

Fabric Used:

Mystery cotton? from stash (on a serious stash bust at the moment)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Think I unintentionally used the long sleeves (I can't remember really as I muslined it AGES ago - maybe it was on purpose?). anyway the sleeves are too long, the cuffs TOO flappy and I think I will wear it first, but I am pretty sure that the sleeves are going to be chopped off and simple short sleeves created!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Not as a shirt, but it might work as the basis for a jacket?



VERY VERY VERY carefully mark all the notches and circles etc ESPECIALLY the one on the weird shoulder/neck line as you will have to cut to it to create the collar - accuracy is key......

Conclusion:

I loved the curving hem, the collar, but the sleeves are overpowering, and there is a LOT of hand sewing for a shirt. Though will look at making as a jacket (after I have pattern busted some of the ACTUAL jacket patterns I already have!!)



Bonus:

This will match the skirt I intend to make for the mini-wardrobe contest (this is NOT a mini-wardrobe entry)

I used stash fabric, buttons from an old shirt and a pattern from stash - pretty pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment