Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Kwik Sew 3790


I made a size medium and could probably have made a small on top and medium over the hips. I took 3" off and it is still fairly long!!


Pattern Description:


"Close fitting tops have asymmetrical front neckline finished with facings, front shoulder insert with gathers, and gathers on left front"



Pattern Sizing:

Xs - XL

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Kwik Sew instructions are always good, but I did not use them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? like the shpaing, neckline etc

Fabric Used:

Cotton Jersey

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Read reviews here and then chopped 3" off length of the top (and it is still plenty long enough!)



LynnRowe review for neckline



Order of construction

1. Sewed shoulder inserst piece to back , sewed front to back on OTHER shoulder - stablised the seam - I used cotton tape but I should have used clear elastic.

2. Gathered front insert bit, placed clear elastic over it and machine stitched down (to hold gathers)

3. Gathered the front side, placed elastic over the gathers and machine stitched over it

4. Followed review to use bias facing for the neckline - make sure you stretch it properly otherwise the back neckline will gap (as mine does!!)

5. Pinned front piece over gathered shoulder section, twin needled the neckline (OH! for a coverstitch machine!)

6. Attached sleeves

7. Used Threads article to prepare sleeves and hems hemming knits

Sewing the hems: (quote from Threads article)

"It's easiest to stabilize the hems before assembling the garment. Prepare the hems by pressing them into place (I use an oak-tag template). Cut 1/2-in.-wide strips of soft, all-bias knit fusible interfacing like SofKnit. Sew or serge the right side of a strip to the wrong side of the hem edge (adhesive side is up). After constructing the garment, fold the hem up, fuse it in place, and topstitch from the right side.

-Marcy Tilton of Takilma"

8. Overlocked side seams from sleeve cuff to hem of garment

9. Folded up hems, ironed and topstiched





Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes I will sew it again and I would recommend it. However when I sew it again I will probably make a small on top and a medium over the hips, as it did seem to come up large - slides off my shoulders.... I also need to ensure that I stretch the bias facing on the back neckline to ensure it does not gap.



Conclusion:

Nice top which I will make again in a smaller size. Might put in more gathers at the front as I think it needs more to make them look like they are supposed to be there,!

Nice top -

No comments:

Post a Comment