Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Simplicity 2998




Pattern Description:


Misses' Knit Mini Dresses or Tops - for stretch knits only

I made B - a tunic top

Pattern Sizing:

4-12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

No - but that is because I made changes

This top is designed a loose fitting tunic and I made a size 12 which according to my measurement should have been several sizes too small (except at the bust).. but I took the side seams in a little - so this pattern does come up very big and baggy..

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I like the princess seamed front - that is what attracted me to the pattern

I do not like the tuck / pleat at the back neckline

Fabric Used:

Stash - cotton jersey with a lovely drape and soft handle

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:



1. I shortened the shoulder straps by about 4cm (so 5.5cm with seam allowance)

2. I left off the pockets - do not need to add to my hips

3. I left off the bottom bands

4. I cut about 4" from the bottom

5. I reduced the length of the neckband (since I had shortened the shoulders!)



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes - but I have a list of changes I want to make first!

Conclusion:



I wanted to make a quick T-shirt top, and this pattern fit the bill. Of course I have managed to get around to making it in time for winter and am now kicking myself that I did not make it at the begining of the summer. It goes together fast and easily. I reduced the length considerably as I wanted a T-shirt top not a tunic.



When I make it again I will cut it without the extra fabric at the front so that I do not need the gathers - they don't flatter me. I will also cut the back about 1cm narrower (on the fold) to remove the need for the tuck. I am going to redraw the pattern pieces and try again in another fabric. Love this pattern.



Might make some with gathers as PJ tops?

No comments:

Post a Comment