Saturday, 30 July 2011

Pea Coat - Finished!

 Not sure why the pocket welt look uneven in this photo - except I was standing on a chair to take the shot - they are level when I look at the coat.....
Fun lining - which was slippery and I thought it would be a nightmare to sew, but it was surprisingly easy (apart from the tendency to fray like crazy)

To sew the sleeve lining in I used the instructions in Sew Stylish - Make the Perfect Fall Jacket  - which are adapted from "Bag Your jacket Lining" by Sandra Millett in Threads No 88 -  All the other instructions that Sherry from pattern Scissor Cloth were lovely, but I could not get my head around that bit!

I have now completed 1 - 15 from the RTW sewalong instructions, and  I only need to:

PRESS
Sew buttonholes
Sew on the buttons

I decided to leave the back half belt decoration off, as I did not want the buttons digging into my back when driving the car!

I made my own Shoulder pads using a pattern from the 80's!


Pattern Description:


Pea Coat Hip length double breasted jacket with notched collar, mock welt pockets and back tab.

Pattern Sizing:

36-44

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes apart from the fact that I missed out the half belt at the back, and the sleeve tabs

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Utter utter drivel as is usual for Burda. They start by directing you to pattern 119 for the welt pockets, and finish by directing you to 101 for the lining!



Fortunately I used the RTW Sew-a-long by Sherry from Pattern Scissor Cloth, Sew-a-long link which was utterly fantastic. I also used the Threads article to sew the lining in the sleeves.

I did use the Burda welt instructions, and I am sure this was a really cumbersome method, I think I will try this tutorialanother time in order to sew in seam welt pockets (with zipper no less)



What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Love the style of the coat. I did not like the pocket placement and welt instructions.

Fabric Used:

Wool from stash and slinky mystery lining fabric from stash

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I followed the Sew-a-long instructions and made all the alterations recommended in that. I would also recommend stitching the buttons onto only the front of the coat (rather than right through to the facing), as stitching through two layers can catch the pockets and make them unusable.



Unfortunately I managed to sew a buttonhole in the wrong place, but as it is underneath it will not show too much. Also – despite making a toile, it is too tight across my hips, and therefore does not line up properly at the hem (so I need to make it again adding a little to the side seams from just below the waist… or slice some fat off my hips……)



I made my own Shoulder pads using a pattern from the 80's! McCall 9287



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?



Potentially yes – but I do have several other coat patterns I want o try out first.



It is a 3 dot Burda pattern – so I would recommend it if you are happy at that level. With Sherry’s instructions it is a breeze… I just sat down and worked through them.





Conclusion:



This Pea Coat is definitely better from having been made by following the sew-a-long instructions. (Which I have printed off and kept for further coat making!!)



With instructions other than Burda's this is a lovely coat to make, I am looking forward to wearing it. Super pleased that I finished before the cold weather sets in!

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful coat! This pattern was one of my choices for the sew-a-long but since the coat was for my daughter her's was the final say.

    Sherry's instructions are fabulous aren't they! That's a good idea to print the instructions off. I've assumed I would be able to refer back to her website in future, but having a print out is a great back up plan!

    ReplyDelete