Thursday, 7 July 2011

Butterick 4626 - Another finished hat!

I have had this pattern in my stash for so long that it must be OOP, and in fact the only review of it on pattern review is from 2006!

4 styles of hat - S - 21 1/2 ", M - 22 1/2 " and L 23 1/2 "

I made view D

As the previous reviewer stated the brim is rather odd and does look better rolled up (as per the pattern envelope). This pattern has 1.5 and 1.3 cm seams in various places. I found that the crown / top seam hard to do using the standard seam, and I am sure it would be much better with a 6mm seam!

I experimented with using volume fleece in the brim to stiffen it, this would work much better for a winter hat not a summer hat. It would also work better for a pattern which does not call for a pleat at the back.

I think I will wear the hat a while before making any decisions, however I would not use it for a summer hat again (to be fair the photos on the front imply that it is more for autumn and winter hats).

Interestingly the hat is sewn up with a raw edge on the brim/crown seam, which is then covered with grosgrain ribbon.

 I made a Small which is still spacious on me.

Conclusion: Will make again with wintery fabrics for winter..... back to the drawing board for the perfect summerhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment