Saturday, 14 May 2011

Vogue 8494 - near complete

Saturday

Last night I spent two hours cutting and sewing the shell of the dress. Today I spent another two hours cutting and sewing the lining, then attaching the lining to the dress. The dress now needs hand finishing on the straps and hemming, and a good press. The pattern directions have to be the strangest way I have ever put a bodice/ lining together, and I don't think I will use that method again! I also don't understand how they imagine you can understitch in the way that they suggest doing it - just not possible to get to the fabric to stitch... I think I will have to press and then topstitch instead.

The A line really doesn't do much for me. I think I will adapt the bodice section from a different dress  (V8234) and use a skirt pattern to make my own pattern for a dress. I feel happy doing that now I have experimented a bit!

Thursday


I made the toile for Vogue 8494 - I need to shave about 2" off the shoulder for the dress to fall in the right place at the bust, and I also need to sew with almost no sew allowances at the bottom of the bodice...... in order to fit a size 12 top into a size 16 skirt!

Not sure about the A line skirt - they don't usually flatter me, I am hoping that the cotton fabric I will be using will fall nicely rather than the toile fabric. I shall make the dress as is first time, and then consider using a different skirt design if necessar

No comments:

Post a Comment