Tuesday, 10 May 2011

New Look 6751



Tonight I finished New Look 6751 for LC. I used view A with the sleeves from view C, though the sleeves were not gathered at the wrist. Originally she wanted view A top and View C bottom half, but the choice of fabric meant that the gathered waist was not suitable. Silly me I did not notice that I could have just used the pattern A straight and I adapted the skirt from pattern C as I had used that for the toile!

Suggested fabrics: Cotton and cotton blends, silks and silk types, charmeuse, Challis, Jazquards, Voile, Double greorgette, Jerseys, Matte Jerseys, Lightwight double knits, Soft Lightweight Linens and Linen blends ... so pretty much anything really ;-0  We used "Ra Ra Frills" - polyester and Spandex for the skirt, and silk chiffon for the sleeves and bodice. The bodice and skirt were backed with ivory lawn to prevent the dress being totally see-through.


I used the tutorial (notes really) from this site to remind myself how to shell edge - blind stitch.

Pattern Description:


Mini Dress

Pattern Sizing:

10 - 22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

No - but that is because I changed the sleeve, otherwise yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Used them for the toile and they were fine, however I did not follow them when making the dress as I changed the order of construction.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I was making this for a friend and she really liked the 60's vibe!

Fabric Used:

Silk Chiffon, Cotton Lawn and "Ra Ra Frills" - polyester/ spandex!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Did not add elastic to the wrist of the sleeves, left them as wide open sleeves. Also changed order of contruction:

1. Constructed back band, bodice and skirt then inserted concealed zipper

2. Constructed front band, bodice and skirt then attached to back

3. Added neckline facing

4. Constructed and inserted sleeves

5. Hemmed and finished!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Having sewn the pattern, I probably will not sew it for myself as I don't think it is my style. I might amend it and make it as a T-shirt top in a jersey. I am glad to have used a pattern from the stash though! I would recommend it to others as it went together really well. If using a stretch fabric you probably would not need a zipper.

Conclusion:

Lovely pattern, hope my friend likes it! Hope to get a photo of her wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment