Sunday, 27 March 2011

Kwik Sew 3816

Finished one of the patterns that I purchased last month - so that has not been hanging about in the pattern stash too long!
 The blue one was the muslin - using up more stash fabrics. This is the one where I was so tired I did everything back-to front!
The finished one in yellow (J's favourite colour). I might topstitch it later, I am not sure.


Pattern Description:


Jacket and vest have collar, front zipper with zipper shield, left breast welt pocket with zipper, lower fronts with pockets in seams, back yoke and casing with elastic at bottom edge.

Pattern Sizing:

XS (4-5) to XL (12-14)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

No - but that is because I made changes....

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Very - Kwik Sew directions are ALWAYS good (apart from not using standard pattern markings)

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Love the pockets, the zipper pocket. Pattern goes together quickly

Fabric Used:

Polar fleece and jersey for the lining

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I made the Muslin as per instructions (apart from being tired and having fabrics the wrong way around that is...). This goes together very fast and is not lined. I then made the final garment without the contrast panels (the contrast panels are only overlaid over the polar fleece in the pattern anyway).. as my son wanted the whole garment yellow. I also used black underneath for the pockets which was a mistake as it shows through and dulls the yellow.



Final garment:

1. Fully lined and interlined with volume fleece

2. No zip on upper welt pocket - fleece too unwieldy to get a nice welt pocket. Used cotton fabric to fabrc to face the welt and then used some fleece for the welt.

3.Did not use the casing at the bottom - next time I might add ribbing to the bottom.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes I made a size S (6) and my son (who will be 6 in a few weeks) loves it - I am sure I will get years of use from this pattern ...especially since son no 2 has asked for a sleeved version of it already!

Conclusion:

Lovely pattern, though next time I would use sweatshirt fabric and still line it ... I much prefer it lined. I also have the same pattern in a man's size. KS also do it for women, so I might buy it for me to use to make one for a friend (she asked!)

No comments:

Post a Comment